Sunday, February 25, 2007

Letter to Your Descendants

Letter to Your Descendants
Or "Rednecks, Remembered Family and Your Heritage"

Two weeks ago we all got together and talked about writing to an ancestor. Last week we chewed over the prospect of writing to that distant cousin. This weeks lets kick off our boots, nuke some popcorn and try to leave a note for our descendants.

Before you start putting down those brilliant ideas on paper, let's talk about what you want them to know about you versus what they will need to know about you. You want to tell them a little about yourself beyond the basic information. For example:

Hi

My name is Uncle Hiram, I was born in the Great State of Texas during the Eisenhower presidency. I grew up in that town that Tom Landry made famous. I Went to various schools some good, some bad. I did a year of college before joining Uncle Sam's Traveling All Star Team (USAF). After 8 years, 6 assignments and 3 countries culminating in a tour in that big 5 sided nut house, I decided the military wasn't as interested in my happiness as I was. I then had the great fortune to meet an East Texas Blonde that was willing to put up with my unique personality.

Of course, since your note isn't going out on the Internet, I would suggest you put in actual dates and names instead of just vague references like in the example.

Next you might want to tell them anything about your life that was interesting or unusual. It may surprise you, but I don't mean tell them about your job unless that is the only thing that defines your life. For example:

If Yall still study American history up there in the future Yall might have heard that we had an American President killed in Dallas in 1963. President Kennedy died in Parkland hospital. I mention this only because I was in Parkland that day having surgery, as a result of being burned when I was 2.

The third thing I would suggest putting in is an explanation of why you started doing genealogy. What you had hoped to find out about your heritage and the strangest thing you ever found or happened while doing research.

The final thing to include is a complete copy of your research.

- Adios and Keep Smiling!

No comments: