Thursday, January 25, 2007

The Amazing Trips of our Ancestors

I was sitting at my Desk this morning planning a weekend trip to Oklahoma.
After pulling down a route map from WWW.Mapquest.com, I discovered it was about a 4-hour drive. I could not help but question whether the trip was necessary. I put the material aside to think about while I worked on my Genealogy. The area that I was working on at that point was the group that traveled by wagon train in 1821 from North Carolina to Tuscaloosa County Alabama.

Then the enormity of their trip struck me; here I was contemplating a round trip of approximately the same length. The trip would take me about eight hour's drive time plus about 4-5 hours in interviewing time. When our ancestors made these trips, they averaged 15-20 miles a day. I was taking a cooler for drinks, my briefcase, 2 camera's and a cell phone in case my wife needed me. Our ancestors had to carry everything they owned in a small wagon or two. In addition, they had to carry water, food and wagon repair equipment. I would be traveling over paved 4-lane Highways at 70mph with accurate maps and help available at any exit. If they were lucky there would be a trail to follow. They traveled through the wilderness, had to brave the often-hostile natives with only a general ideal of their destination.

I was going to Oklahoma for the day to interview family and to visit one of the people that inspired me to become a host. (Just a side thought here: GFS Cindy is one of the people that held my hand through my early days of online Genealogy. She didn't laugh when I asked those dreaded rookie questions, always gave me great advice, she pointed me in the right directions, helped teach me how to research my roots. Then she (unknown to me) taught me how to help other beginners and planted the desire to host in me. I would like to publicly tip my shiny new GFS hat to her and GFS Jan, GFS Carol, GFS EllJay, GFS Helen and DianeAbra who thought I would make a good host. So now, you know whom to blame.)

Our Ancestor’s journey hundreds of miles, enduring hardships we can only imagine. Often leaving behind everyone they knew and the "civilized " sections of our country to carve out a new life in the wilderness. They buried children, spouses and friends on these trips, froze in the mountains, baked in the deserts, fought Indians and outlaws, they had to hunt for their food and water, traveling across virtually unknown territory with primitive maps and transportation. The motivation of these people are as varied as the people themselves, free land, better life, a desire to explore and sometimes fleeing "legal" problems in the east.

This second wave of American Pioneers (the first wave of course came to America) carried with them the unique American dream. A place of their own, where a man could be free and his kids could grow up to a better life than he had. They were not perfect in many ways, laying the seeds for the bitter civil war that we are still feeling ramifications from Today, but they were people to be proud of. So whether your ancestor was a Senator from New Jersey or a poor farmer from Tuscaloosa County Alabama, be proud of their achievements and tell your children of not just who they were but what they were.
The next time you try to decide if your really feel like driving 50 miles to visit a cemetery or Courthouse, remember how hard it was for your ancestor to get to the point.

NOTE: This remains my personal favorite because it paid tribute not just to my ancestors but to the people that cajoled me into trying to be a Host on AOL.

No comments: