Friday, January 26, 2007

The Salt Lake City Shooting

Adventures in Genealogy: The Salt Lake City Shooting

I have heard it said that genealogy is either a hobby or an obsession. I have always felt like it was an extended East Texas type family. We have the hard-working Parental types, The Professional Genealogists that offer us suggestions and tips.

The Generous Grandparent type, the LDS church and there Family History centers where anyone and everyone are welcome to research their ancestors and no charge.

Lots of Wise Old Aunts and Uncles, those older genealogists that remember the hobby before the Internet revolutionized it and willingly share what they have learned. We also have lots of brothers and sisters, Our generation of genealogists. We surf the net, gather in chat rooms to exchange surnames, suggestions, web pages and occasionally tell jokes.

On April 15th 1999 a tragically sick man walked into the Family History Library in Salt Lake City and opened fire. When the news broke here in Texas I frantically searched my memory to see if any of my friends had mentioned going to Salt Lake City. I determined that none of my buddies could have been hurt, but I still had that empty feeling. As the news slowly dribbled in, the feelings of sorrow and grief continued to grow. It became apparent to me that even though I didn’t know the people involved their deaths bothered me more than most I hear about on the news.

The deaths of that security guard and the Lady researcher left an empty place in my heart. I had never met either of these people and I am not a member of the Latter Day Saints church. but I felt like I had lost a member of my own family. This tragic shooting should serve to remind us that in some small way all of us genealogists are connected. This tragedy is some small way has diminished us all.

I will not impose my own religious beliefs on anyone, but I ask you to pray to your God or Creator for those wounded and for the families of the dead. I will also ask you to please shake the hand of the next Mormon you see and tell them we share Their loss.

Respectfully Yours
William Hocutt AKA GFS Waffle

NOTE: The reason for this article is obvious. To this day It still bothers me that this one ever needed to be written.

No comments: